West Essex exited the Gordan Brasted Memorial Trophy at the second-round stage after a penalty shoot-out loss to Stansted on Tuesday night.

The two sides played out a 3-3 draw across normal time before visiting Stansted prevailed on spot-kicks.

Brad Russell fired home the opener for West after 13 minutes, but Stansted were soon level when a similar effort from Jack Mitchell flew into the net.

However, West were able to restore their advantage before the break when Russell capitalised on a slip in the Stansted defence and rifled home his second.

He then had a hand in the home side grabbing their third before the interval, driving in a wind-assisted corner that was met by a powerful Tom Macleod header to make it 3-1.

The away side got one back through Jordan Palmer, and within two minutes Stansted had pulled level again as Mitchell notched his second.

West missed their first and their third kicks, meaning when Stansted scored a fourth there was no way back for the hosts, and they edged into round three of the competition.

Tuesday’s second v third clash between Walthamstow and Hashtag United fell foul of the weather, but Stow did managed to keep pace with Saffron Walden Town at the top of the Essex Senior League Senior Division after a 2-0 win at Hoddesdon Town on Saturday.

Stow found the breakthrough just before half time when a ball into the area found Samrai Gebrai, and he headed over the Hoddesdon keeper to break the deadlock.

A second, all-important goal arrived with five minutes to go though as Lewis Francis broke through the defence, cut inside and slotted underneath the goalkeeper.

Redbridge’s match with Hoddesdon on Tuesday was also postponed due to the weather, but they did manage to play their first game in over a month on Friday night when they drew 2-2 with Ilford, who had their midweek game against Sawbridgeworth Town postponed as well.

After a goalless first half, Ilford took the lead on 63 minutes when Jeffrey Cobblah capitalised on a defensive mistake from the hosts to fire into an empty net.

However, Cobblah was to be at fault for Redbridge’s leveller as he was dispossessed by Liam Burgess, who squared for Kurt Smith to score.

Redbridge thought they had won it with five minutes to go when Burgess’ free-kick took a huge deflection and looped into the net, but Larry Akinbi struck in stoppage time to level for Ilford.

Woodford Town’s Monday encounter with Tower Hamlets managed to go ahead and the two sides played out a 1-1 draw, with Lauric Diakiesse getting the goal before a late Hamlets leveller.

Woodford were also in action on Saturday as they fell to a 4-0 defeat away at league leaders Saffron Walden.

Gavin Cockman scored a hat-trick for the rampant hosts, who had a fourth added by Tyger Smalls.

Waltham Abbey lost for the first time in all competitions since the start of November on Saturday as they went down 3-2 to Bedfont Sports in the Isthmian South Central Division.

After going 2-0 down, Abbey pulled it back to 2-2 through Leonne McKenzie and Billy Holland, but Bedfont won it with four minutes to go.