It was another night to forget for Lee Valley Lions as they fell to a 9-0 defeat against Peterborough Phantoms 2.

The result pushes the Phantoms up to joint-first in the NIHL South East 2, while Lions remain rooted to the bottom without a win all season.

Lions were without three of their top five scorers for the game as Jordan Ho, Jordan Sullivan and Ross Sin-Hidge all missed out, as did defenceman Tom Baptist.

Peterborough got off to the perfect start in the opening period as Jordan Liddell opened the scoring with an early goal.

Lions had their chances to get back into the game. Oscar Kelly drew a save from Phantoms goaltender Luke Clark while Joe Berry wasted a good one-v-one opportunity when set free.

Their wastefulness was punished as Phantoms added two more goals of their own inside the first 10 minutes of the game, firstly through Callum Medcalf and then Polish forward Michal Magiera.

Despite a good save from James Andrew in the lions goal, as well as another missed chance, this time from Richie Pickering, Peterborough extended their lead further when Jack Sansby scored with 47 seconds left of the period.

The second period resulted in some penalty trouble for the hosts and Peterborough duly took advantage.

First, Magiera grabbed his second of the game with a five-on-three advantage before both Benjamin Crowson and Robert McDonald scored on five-on-four powerplays to put the visitors into a 7-0 lead.

Lions did have the puck in the net once in the second period as Harry Sage scored after good work from Tyrone Wells, but the goal was ruled out for offside as Wells was still in the zone as Sage took his shot.

Right on the 40-minute mark at the end of the period, Phantoms scored a buzzer-beater through Kenny Bavin to take an 8-0 lead into the final period.

Lions swapped out their netminders for the last 20 minutes, with Naomi Healey coming in to replace Andrew between the pipes.

It was a much quitter game in all aspects, with Phantoms adding just one to their score through Storm Lister to secure a 9-0 success.

Tensions boiled over slightly with eight minutes remaining as Kelly and Magiera sat out two minutes each for roughing, but in terms of the score, the game petered out with little happening.

Peterborough’s quality certainly shone through on the day as they showed why they are joint top with both Haringey Huskies and Invicta Mustangs, while things remain ominous for the Lions at the bottom of the table, and they are still without a win this season.

They are back in action this Sunday when they travel to Haringey for a 5.30pm face-off.