A battle of two out-of-form sides saw West Essex emphatically come out on top on Tuesday night as they thrashed Sporting Bengal United 5-1 at home.

West had not tasted success since a 1-0 win over Ilford on January 25, although weather postponements had not done a lot to help that situation.

Bengal, meanwhile, have won just twice this side of the new year and continue to struggle towards the bottom end of the table.

Although it was West who eventually went on to win comfortably, they did actually fall behind with just nine minutes on the clock, signalling that they would have to work hard to get anything out of the game.

They were made to work hard too, and it was not until three minutes before the break that they finally found a way through the Bengal defence as Izzy Ogedi-Uzokwe finished off Cameron Gray's pass.

The second half proved to be far easier for the hosts, although it was past the hour mark until Gray put his side in front after an assist from Callum Bloss.

Two minutes later, Bradley Russell added West's third to pretty much seal the points, but a fourth goal on 69 minutes from Emmanuel Oluwole put them out of sight.

Bloss got himself on the scoresheet late on from the penalty spot to round off a comfortable night's work for West.

Despite the win, they were unable to move clear of Woodford Town in the Essex Senior League Senior Division after they recorded a narrow 1-0 win away at Hoddesdon Town.

Marcus Painter scored the only goal of the game to give Woodford their fourth away win of the season and the first on their travels since early November.

A second-half penalty save from Alex Reed also helped them to keep a fourth league clean sheet of the campaign.

Redbridge have now suffered back-to-back defeats in the league after they were thumped 6-2 at leaders Saffron Walden Town on Tuesday.

Julian Simon-Parsons put Saffron into the lead after 10 minutes only for Kurt Smith to swiftly cancel it out for the Motormen.

Even faster, though, was Saffron's response as Simon-Parsons restored the lead within a minute and Steven Carvell's goal made it 3-1 at the break.

Hassan Nalbent pulled another back for Redbridge three minutes into the second half, but Saffron kicked on and won comfortably through further goals from Gavin Cockman, Charlie Cole and Jack Isherwood.

Walthamstow came from behind to beat Hadley 2-1 and reach the semi-finals of the Peter Butcher Memorial Trophy.

The visitors took the lead when a defensive slip allowed Solomon Ofori in on goal and he dinked over the onrushing goalkeeper into the bottom corner.

Stow recovered after the break and levelled proceedings when Emiel Aiken kept his cool to round the keeper and finish from a tight angle.

Callum Ibe then sealed the win with four minutes to go, bringing down Lewis Francis' cross before firing home on the turn.

Finally, one of the few games to go ahead on Saturday saw Epping Town's winless run contnie with a 1-0 defeat at Leig Town, where Harry Payne scored the only goal.