A "highly intelligent" psychologist who died at Highams Park Station took his own life, a coroner has ruled. 

South-African born Mario Simone, 55, of Crownfield Road in Leyton, led a solitary, lonely life with no known friends up until his death on August 15.  

He was struck by a Chingford to Liverpool Street train 400 yards from Highams Park station after walking onto the tracks from the rail crossing, as he was not picked up on any station platform CCTV at either Highams Park or Wood Street Station.  

Before Mr Simone, an Italian national, moved to London in 2011, he led a highly successful career as a consultant in Nottingham but attempted suicide following the break-up of a long-term relationship and the loss of his job.

He lived alone in an unfurnished Leyton flat and suffered from 'severe depressive episodes' and 'psychotic symptoms'. 

Walthamstow Coroners' Court heard how Mr Simone's family had a history with mental health and suicide. 

A statement by his GP Dr Martin Huddart of The Manor Practice in Lea Bridge Road, read aloud by coroner Nadia Persaud. said: "His grandfather had jumped in front of a train and his sister had also made attempts to end her life.” 

Both of Mr Simone's parents died of cancer.

Retired Dr Huddart added: "He was a highly intelligent clinical psychologist whose mental health was exasperated by the use of strong cannabis."

But a toxicology report after his death revealed his system was free of drugs and alcohol. 

He was under the care of North East London Foundation Trust (NELFT) and placed on the maximum dose of Olanzapin, an antipsychotic and antidepressant, Mirtazapine.  

In April 2013, he was discharged from NELFT to the care of his GP and Evolve, an advocacy and advice mental health service, after being reported as stable.  

Two weeks before his death on July 31, Mr Simone reported feeling more depressed as the state of his flat and diet was getting him down.

Joss Southcombe, of Evolve, told the court: "He spent most of his time lying on his bed or pacing around his flat referring back to his previous life.

“He had no furniture, no TV, no communication with the outside world and lived off packet sandwiches and takeaways.”  

Following his death, BTP invesitgator Gary Mathias visited his Leyton home and told the court "neighbours didn't even know his name". 

BTP officers made several attempts to contact next of kin, issuing appeals in both Italy and South Africa - but no one came forward. 

To this day, the coroners' court and BTP have not made contact with any known relatives or friends regarding his death. 

Coroner Ms Persaud added: "If the family do ever contact the court, I would like the court to confer their sympathies to the family for this loss."