A shop underneath flats burst into flames due to a discarded cigarette today.

In the early morning hours fire fighters were called to Cann Hall Road in Leytonstone after a passerby spotted smoke.

They worked quickly to get the ground floor blaze under control.

The property was being renovated and was unoccupied at the time of the fire.

The cause of the fire is believed to be a discarded cigarette that sparked the floorboards.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Cigarettes are a leading cause of house fires but so many people fail to ensure they are stubbed out properly.

"Never leave cigarettes unattended and always ensure ashtrays are carefully emptied with all the debris.

"We'd rather people didn't smoke at all but if you do, vaping is a safer option in terms of preventing fires.

“It’s also important to remember your smoke alarms event when a house is empty, ensure they are tested and not obscured by building materials.

"If a fire starts, a smoke alarm can alert neighbours or passers buy which means that we can arrange be alerted sooner.”