A mother-of-four living in a mould-ridden flat claims the “toxic” fungus has caused her health to deteriorate so much she was forced to call an ambulance 15 times in three years.

Ewa Aymer of Chingford Lane, Woodford Green, has accused Waltham Forest Council of treating her young family with “ignorance and avoidance” as she watches her health and that of her children worsen.

The 43-year-old has repeatedly called on the council to move her out of the three-bedroom property because of the black mould covering the walls, window sills and ceilings.

After her plight was raised in the Guardian in January, the council agreed to conduct a survey of tenants in the block to find out what was causing the damp. But 10 months on, the single mother is still fighting for a lasting solution.

“Health-wise, it’s been up and down,” said Ms Aymer who has Gilbert’s Syndrome, a genetic disorder which means her liver is unable to effectively process toxins.

“I try to stay away from toxins and buy natural products. But then I have to live somewhere where I’m breathing in all these toxins. It’s ridiculous.

“An ambulance has come about 15 times in the past three years as I’ve had panic attacks and was feeling faint and dizzy. Anyone with anxiety will understand what I am talking about.

“Sometimes I wake up 10 times a night thinking about the mould and what will happen next.”

Earlier this year workers contracted by the council arrived to spray an anti-fungal substance and paint over the mould in the bathroom and bedrooms in the hope that it would stave off the damp.

According to Ms Aymer, the mould reappeared within two months in the flat she shares with her daughters aged three, five and 15, and her 18-year-old son.

She said her youngest child is “constantly coughing” throughout the night when she sleeps in the bedroom she shares with her mother and older sister.

“She has respiratory problems,” explained Ms Aymer. “She’s wheezing and I’ve had to call the ambulance because she was struggling to breathe and her heart was racing.

“When she goes to school she’s not going to learn anything. She’s at nursery now and it’s one week on, one week off, with her being sick.

“Our case has been treated with ignorance and avoidance by the council. They have ignored me for over two years.

“According to them, it’s fit to be a home but mould is a toxic substance so we are living in a toxic environment. It’s not fit for a family to live in and it’s not good for my mental health.”

Cllr Louise Mitchell, cabinet member for housing, claimed Ms Aymer “expressed how pleased she was” with the redecoration works carried out at her flat in April and was advised on how to reduce the likelihood of mould growing by ventilating rooms.

Cllr Mitchell added: “We will arrange for surveyors to revisit the property as soon as is possible to see if there are any recent problems that require treatment at this address.”