An electric blanket caused a fire that engulfed a bedroom.

The bedroom was completely alight when emergency services arrived at the occupants property in Kestrel Road, Waltham Abbey yesterday at 11.41am.

Flames were quickly extinguished by the fire crew.

Watch manager Dave Horton, Waltham Abbey Fire Station, said: "The occupant did exactly the right thing - she noticed a smell of burning, shut the door to the room and call 999.

“By shutting the door to the room, it absolutely saved the rest of the house by preventing the fire and smoke from spreading,

“She called us as soon as she noticed the burning, which meant that we could deal with the fire quickly and safely and minimise the damage.”

Mr Horton urged anyone who owns an electric blanket to have overheat protect functions and check for any tears within the material, plug and cable.

He added: "We also urge everyone in Essex to make sure they have a working smoke alarm.

“This property did have a working smoke alarm, so if the occupant was not in the room at the time of the fire, they would have been alerted at the first sign of fire. We provide and install smoke alarms completely free of charge.”

For more information call: 0300 303 0088 or visit