The Avenue, now part of Rangers Road, near Bury Road c1900. It is where Chingford meets Epping Forest.

The horse-breaks are lined up to ferry passengers to their destinations.

A cattle trough once stood at the junction of Bury Road (far left). Installed by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association, by 1885, they claimed that more than 50,000 horses were drinking daily from the association’s troughs in London.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

How the scene looks today

Follow Gary Stone on Instagram @chingfordhistorical