A teenager who drove at speeds of up to 135mph to avoid being caught by police has been jailed.

Minad Ghafoor, 18, of Lansbury Avenue, Enfield, made off from officers while travelling on the M11 in north east London on November 29 last year.

The Metropolitan Police says Ghafoor was seen driving at "excessive speed" at around 8.25pm but he ignored calls to pull over and made off northbound towards Essex.

Police say he reached speeds of up to 135mph on the motorway but the pursuit was called off after Ghafoor drove the wrong way down a one-way street after leaving the M11 to head into the Bishop's Stortford area in Hertfordshire.

Shortly after, the runaway teen crashed into a van and then fled on foot. Ghafoor was tracked by a police helicopter, which had been called in earlier in the pursuit, and officers were guided in to arrest him.

A police sergeant said he was "astounded" the van driver was not seriously injured.

At Barkingside Magistrates' Court on December 15, Ghafoor pleaded to dangerous driving, failing to stop for police, driving without a licence and driving without insurance.

He was sentenced to ten months in prison after appearing at Snaresbrook Crown Court on May 9. He was also disqualified from driving for two years and four months.

Sergeant Hugh Weeks, of the Met's roads and transport policing command said: "Ghafoor’s actions that night did nothing but demonstrate his selfish character. In his attempts to evade police, he risked the lives of himself and others by driving at speeds in excess of 135mph on a motorway and more than twice the speed limit in a built-up residential area.

"The collision itself occurred because Ghafoor ignored a no entry sign on a one way street. Upon seeing the damage to the van involved, I was astounded that the driver did not suffer serious injuries. It is clear that after the collision Ghafoor himself was not injured but rather than offer assistance he chose to run away.

"I would like to thank officers from Essex Police and the National Police Air Service who assisted with Ghafoor's arrest. This outcome demonstrates the continuing success of multi-agency working between different police services."