Five people were taken to hospital after a house fire in Walthamstow.

The London Fire Brigade says it was called to a mid-terraced house in Roland Road just before 5pm yesterday (July 3).

Photos showed part of ground floor of the house totally destroyed with five people, including two children, needing hospital treatment for smoke inhalation.

They had managed to flee the property before firefighters arrived.

The blaze was brought under control by 7pm with 25 firefighters from Walthamstow, Leyton, Leytonstone and Stratford fire stations attending.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Credit: London Fire BrigadeCredit: London Fire Brigade

The fire service says the fire is believed to have been accidental but said it was caused by the failure of lithium-ion batteries for a converted e-bike.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “It’s incredibly concerning we are continuing to see a rise in incidents involving e-bikes and e-scooters.

“When these batteries and chargers fail, they do so with ferocity and because the fires develop so rapidly the situation can quickly become incredibly serious.

“Lithium-ion batteries are susceptible to failure if incorrect chargers are used and there is a significant risk posed by e-bikes which have been converted, such as in this case.”

East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Credit: London Fire BrigadeCredit: London Fire Brigade

They added: "We are predominantly seeing fires in ones which have been purchased from online market places and batteries which have been sourced on the internet, which may not meet the correct safety standards.

“Our advice is to try and store and charge these items in a safe location if possible, such as in a shed or garage, and if they have to be stored inside, make sure there is smoke detection fitted and your means of escape is not obstructed.

“However we know this won’t be possible for everyone, so if you are charging them indoors, please follow our advice on using safe charging and ensure everyone in your home knows what to do in the event of a fire.

“Make sure they are charged in a room where there is smoke detection and on a hard, flat surface."

“We would also suggest people try not to charge them when they are asleep, so that if there is an issue they can react quickly.”