Chingford County High School under construction in Nevin Drive c1940.

The school was first opened at Hawkwood House (now demolished) in 1938 while the building works took place.

It wasn’t until 1941 that the new school could be occupied due to World War Two and the upheaval of evacuation.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

The school is better known today as Chingford Foundation School.

Follow Gary Stone on Twitter @Chingfirdhist