Firefighters have warned householders to pay attention to strange noises from appliances after a freezer fire believed to be caused by an electrical fault.

A first-floor kitchen in a terraced house of six flats in St John’s Road, Walthamstow, was destroyed in the blaze last Thursday.

The London Fire Brigade sent two fire engines after being called at 10.23am. Three people escaped unharmed before firefighters arrived.

No one was injured and the fire was under control by 11.11am.

The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by an electrical fault in a fridge freezer.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “The fire was discovered by a resident who heard a noise and on inspection saw smoke and flames coming from a fridge freezer in the kitchen.

“If your white goods start making a strange noise, don’t ignore it. If you think there’s a problem always unplug it and contact the manufacturer or a qualified repair technician.

"Most fires where white goods are the source of ignition are not down to anything you have done – so always make sure you register your appliances as you’ll be informed if any issues are identified with the product you’ve bought.”