Concerns have been raised that an asylum seeker accused of raping a teenage boy has reportedly “gone missing”.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed earlier this month that it was investigating reports of a boy raped in a Walthamstow hotel used for refugees.

Labour said the reports of an accused man going missing raises “some questions” about how the Home Office has handled the case.

In the Commons, Buckingham MP Greg Smith raised the case and claimed the Met transferred the individual from Walthamstow to another hotel in Buckinghamshire, but did not escort him inside the building.

The Met said a man, 39, was arrested after officers were called to reports of a rape on October 5.


Police said the main is currently on bail pending further inquiries and must return to the police station on a date in early January.

Mr Smith said in the Commons: “Buckinghamshire Council learned third-hand from a London borough just this morning that an asylum seeker who is under investigation for a very serious offence was transferred to the asylum hotel in Buckingham by the Metropolitan Police but was not escorted into the premises and has since gone missing.”

“That process is wholly unacceptable,” the Buckingham MP said, while asking for a commitment “that everything possible is being done to apprehend that individual and ensure that until that investigation is completed they are in secured accommodation?”

Security minister Tom Tugendhat, replying for the Government, told MPs: “I’m sure I speak for the immigration minister and policing minister to say that they will both look into it very carefully, and I’m sure they will return to answer these questions.”

East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Police are investigating the allegationsPolice are investigating the allegations (Image: PA)

A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said: “Police were called on Wednesday, October 5 to a report of a rape at a hotel in Waltham Forest.

“Officers attended and spoke to the victim, a boy in his teens, and his family. Specialist support is being provided to them.

“A 39-year-old man was arrested at the scene and taken into custody.

“He is currently on bail pending further enquiries and must return to the police station on a date in early January.

“His accommodation status in the interim period is a matter for the Home Office, not the police.”

A Home Office source said: “The bail conditions of this suspect are a matter for the police and we do not have any powers to detain him. There is no evidence he has absconded.”