A “jealous and insecure” boyfriend persuaded his partner to arrange a meeting with his previous partner so he could shoot him in a “ruthless, calculated attack”.

Daniel Gaudin and Shannon Rule travelled by train from Waltham Forest to Merton to meet the unsuspecting victim on June 22.

After Rule spoke to the man, Gaudin appeared and shot him several times in front of terrified onlookers, leaving him with life-changing injuries.


Shannon Rule, 22, of Ashwood Road, Chingford, was found guilty of attempted murder following a trial at Kingston Crown Court on Thursday.

Daniel Gaudin, 23, of Cranleigh Close, Waltham Cross, had pleaded guilty to attempted murder at an earlier hearing.

The court heard Rule had been in a relationship with both the victim and Gaudin. The two men did not know each other.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Daniel GaudinDaniel Gaudin (Image: Met)

Gaudin became aware of the other man and sent him a number of threatening texts.

He then enlisted Rule to lure the man to a meeting near his home in Morden, where he would then shoot him.

The unknowing victim agreed, believing he would meet Rule alone to discuss the situation.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Shannon RuleShannon Rule (Image: Met)

Gaudin and Rule travelled to Morden where Rule met the victim before Gaudin appeared and shot him several times without warning. Scores of people watched the incident unfold.

Police were called to Central Road, at the junction with Abbotsbury Road, at 2.03pm on Tuesday, June 22.

They found the victim, who was rushed to hospital by London Ambulance Service paramedics.

The injuries he sustained were life-changing and the victim, now 25, still needs ongoing treatment.

Gaudin and Rule fled immediately after the shooting, but their escape route led them back towards the scene of the crime – where firearms officers saw the suspects and arrested them.

When interviewed by police, Rule denied knowing that Gaudin had a gun or that he intended to shoot the victim.

But her lies quickly unravelled when officers discovered an array of texts she had sent to the victim warning him about Gaudin and that he had a gun.

Detectives gathered CCTV, witness and forensic evidence that also placed them both at the scene. Gaudin was left with no choice but to plead guilty.

Gaudin and Rule are due to be sentenced at Kingston Crown court on January 19.

Detective Inspector Iain Wallace, who led the investigation, said: "Our thoughts foremost are with the young man whose life was changed in an instant following a shocking and utterly needless act of wanton violence, born out of Gaudin's sheer jealousy and insecurity.

"He had no idea of what would unfold that day and the terrible injuries he sustained will mean he needs assistance for the rest of his life. I hope the convictions we have seen today will allow he and his family some small measure of comfort.

"Gaudin and Rule will now pay the price for their ruthless, calculated attack with their freedom. There is no place for violence on our streets and anyone concerned in such violence can be assured that the Met will stop at nothing to bring offenders to justice."