An e-bike caught fire after a suspected battery failure in Walthamstow. 

Crews from the London Fire Brigade (LFB) were called out to a fire in High Street at 11.02pm on November 4. 

Twenty-five firefighters in four fire engines arrived to a shop that had housing above it where a lean-to on the ground floor had set on fire. 

It was reported to have been used as a bike shed for a number of e-bikes before being destroyed in the accidental blaze, which LFB said was caused by the failure of two lithium-ion batteries in two e-bikes.

A spokesperson for LFB added: "The owners of these bikes did the right thing by storing these e-bikes outside the home which helped to limit the damage.

"There are an increasing number of fires caused by e-bikes, e-scooters and lithium batteries which is why we're running our #ChargeSafe campaign here in London to raise awareness of the risks and share our safety advice.

RELATED: Battery in charging power tool causes Upton Park blaze

"Tragically, our crews attended an e-bike fire where a young woman lost her life at the start of this year.

"When these batteries and chargers fail, they do so with ferocity and because the fires develop so rapidly, the situation can quickly become incredibly serious.

“We want people who own an e-bike or e-scooter to travel safely and charge safe."

No injuries were reported after the blaze. 

LFB safety tips for e-bikes and e-scooter users:

  • Check your battery and charger meets UK safety standards - there is particular concern surrounding those bought from online marketplaces

  • Watch for signs that the battery/charger isn't working e.g. if the battery is hot to the touch or has changed shape

  • Let the battery cool before charging

  • Unplug the charger once it has finished charging, do not leave unattended or charging when asleep

  • Fit alarms where you charge

  • Never block escape routes

For more advice, visit the London Fire Brigade website