A gunman has been found guilty of the "brutal murder" of a man "gunned down in the street" after a party.

Chase Griffith, 22, of Ashfield Parade in Southgate, north London, was found guilty of the murder of Sam Brown, 28, at the Old Bailey yesterday (November 29).

The 28-year-old was "gunned down in the street" after a party in Cheney Row Park, Walthamstow, on Saturday July 24 in 2022, the court heard.

Griffith was extradited from Saint Lucia having fled there after the murder and will be sentenced at the Old Bailey at a later date.

Detective Chief Inspector Kelly Allen, investigation lead, said: “Sam Brown was gunned down in the street by Chase Griffith in an act of perceived revenge following a stabbing that had taken place earlier that night.

“Griffith then fled the country to Saint Lucia, while Sam’s family grieved his brutal murder.

“Sam’s family are very much in my thoughts today," she added. "I once again wish to express my deepest sympathy to them.”

RELATED NEWS: Hackney man who killed motorcyclist in Leyton wanted by Met

East London and West Essex Guardian Series: Sam Brown was fatally shot on July 24 in 2022Sam Brown was fatally shot on July 24 in 2022 (Image: Met Police)

Sam’s family, in a statement, said: “We will never have any closure to what actually happened to our son that night.

"We all have to move on with our lives as we know that’s what Sam would want us to do.

"He will always be our angel and never forgotten.”

The court heard how Griffith and Sam attended a 150-strong party on Saturday night in July 23, 2022.

In the early hours of July 24 a man was stabbed and taken to hospital.

After the stabbing, Griffith produced a gun and shot Sam in the street, believing him to be in some way responsible.

Sam staggered into his car and drove a short distance before losing consciousness, police said.

He was then taken to hospital where he died from his injuries.

Griffith had fled the scene and travelled to the Southgate area.

After arriving home, he disposed of a tracksuit he was wearing in an attempt to cover his tracks.

On July 27, Griffith boarded a flight to Saint Lucia from Gatwick Airport.

When he arrived at Gatwick, he had changed his appearance including cutting his hair.

He remained in Saint Lucia until he returned to the same airport on December 8 after being extradited.

DCI Allen said it has been a challenging investigation since people were reluctant to come forward, but praised the investigation team.

“This conviction brings an end to a long and painstaking investigation by officers from the Met assisted by colleagues at the National Crime Agency.

"I am very grateful for their assistance with the extradition of Griffith," she added.