Two teens have been found guilty of murdering an "unsuspecting" fellow teen in an ambush.

Seventeen-year-old Chima Osuji suffered fatal stab injuries after he was ambushed in Longshaw Road, Chingford last April.

Two teens, both 16 at the time of the attack and who cannot be named for legal reasons, were arrested on suspicion of murder and went on trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

On January 22, they were found guilty of murder and will be sentenced at the same court on March 1.

The Metropolitan Police detailed how the pair lay in wait for their "unsuspecting" victim, hiding behind parked vans until their fatal attack. 

CCTV footage, mobile phone data and forensic work were used to prove the two as Chima's murderers. 

The pair were arrested just three days after the attack. The Met seized their phones and saw contact that suggested Chima had been lured to his death by a third party. 

Police were able to track their movements to the murder scene and whilst both refused to answer any questions while in police custody, evidence that was obtained saw both charged with murder.

Det Ch Insp Larry Smith, the investigation lead, said: “By methodically unpicking the events leading up to the attack on Chima, we could establish both teenagers conspired to carry out this cowardly assault.

“After spending the evening together, they took a minicab to Longshaw Road in Chingford and lay in wait armed with knives, using parked vans as cover, before ambushing an unsuspecting Chima."

The pair are said to have fled the scene in a waiting taxi nearby. 

East London and West Essex Guardian Series: The pair lay in wait in between parked vans before launching the attackThe pair lay in wait in between parked vans before launching the attack (Image: Google Maps)RELATED: Teenager who was stabbed to death in east London named

Det Ch Insp Smith added: "The driver recalls the pair in jubilant mood – a sickening comparison to the devastating scene they had left behind.

“Neither of them has ever admitted why they carried out this attack. From the evidence gathered it is clear this was not a chance encounter but a planned act of violence that had catastrophic consequences.”

Police discovered Chima collapsed on the pavement in Longshaw Road on April 10 at 9.20pm. 

Despite the best efforts of paramedics, police and members of the public, he died at the scene. 

Chima had been with another teenager at the time of the attack who escaped unharmed. He was able to assist police in identifying one of Chima's attackers. 

Police recovered a sword from the scene containing the fingerprint of the second attacker. The sword was not used to inflict the fatal injuries.