A young man killed in a fatal collision was drink and drug driving while on a ban, an inquest heard today.

Romanian-born Florin Moisa, of Shaucer Road, Walthamstow, died when the BMW he was travelling in crashed into the Bell Pub at the junction of Forest Road and Chingford Road on March 9 last year.

An inquest at Walthamstow Coroner's Court today heard how Mr Moisa, 29, had used his brother's car, despite having no insurance, following a heavy binge drinking session.

He was also on a driving ban following a drink-drive conviction when the fatal accident happened at around 4.30am.

The hearing heard how Mr Moisa was driving at around 60mph when he clipped the pavement forcing the car onto the opposite side of the road. The vehicle spun out of control before mounting the curb on the opposite side of the road and careering backwards into the pub.

Giving evidence, witness, Kile Forbes, a student at Waltham Forest College, told the court he was walking home in the direction of Walthamstow Magistrates Court when he saw the BMW approaching at high speed. He recalled the car driving closely to the pavement before hitting the curb a metre from where he was walking.

A second witness, Jeffery White, who was making his way to the bus stop along Hoe Street, recalled hearing the roaring sound of an engine before seeing the vehicle spinning out of control and crashing into the pub. He said the car lifted off the ground as it hit the curb.

PC Chris Moore told the court he arrived at the scene of the accident where he discovered two unconcious males slumped inside the car. Neither were wearing seatbelts. Despite resuscitation attempts, Mr Moisa was pronounced dead at the scene. His passenger, Teodor Ciubotaru, also required medical treament at the scene. He was airlifted to the Royal London Hospital suffering from a neck fracture, but survived.

On the evening of the accident Mr Moisa had been celebrating Romanian Mothers Day with Mr Ciubotaru - a friend from Romania who had arrived in England just two days before the collision.

In a written statement read out to the court, Mr Ciubotaru said the pair were drinking heavily, and described his state as 'legless'. Although Mr Ciubotaru claimed to have no recollection of the accident, he said the pair had come to be in the car because Mr Moisa had suggested buying more alcohol.

He said: "I fell asleep in the back of the car and I woke up in hospital and I was told I am alive and well."

It is understood Mr Ciubotaru returned to Romania after the accident.

Toxicology reports revealed that Mr Moisa was more than two times above the legal drink drive limit and under the influence of ecstacy when the accident happened.

Crash investigators confirmed there were no faults with the vehicle which may have contributed to the accident.

A post mortem revealed the victim died from a subdural hemorrhage, caused by the impact.

Coroner Dr Elizabeth Stearns recorded a verdict of accident death. She ruled a combination of high speed and impaired judgement caused the crash.

Mr Moisa, a labourer by trade, moved to England two years before the accident to earn a better living.

Mr Moisa was the youngest of four siblings, including two brothers, both living in Romania, and sister Claudia, who lives in Dagenham.

His brother-in-law Dorel Radu, who attended the hearing, said: "He was a fine man, he was spontaneous.

"He had something to offer everybody if they needed it. His parents were devastated, it's a real shame."