Macauley Bonne scored a hat-trick as Leyton Orient eased to a 4-1 National League win over Guiseley at Brisbane Road.

The O’s went behind to Kayode Odejayi’s volley, despite controlling matters, before Bonne scored two penalties late in the first half to turn the game in his side’s favour.

New signing Matt Harrold came from the bench to give Orient breathing space in the second half and Bonne rounded off the win late in the game.

The result sees Orient extend their unbeaten home record this season and they will hope to take their form on the road against Boreham Wood next weekend.

Steve Davis was without midfielder Alex Lawless, who missed out with a hip injury.

His absence, coupled with Charlie Lee’s ongoing recovery from injury, left the O’s lacking in the centre of the park.

Orient came into the game expectant of securing a positive result against a Guiseley side sat 22nd in the National League table ahead of kick off.

The hosts meanwhile have made steady progress this term and arrived at the match just two points shy of league leaders Sutton United in third.

They should have been ahead inside six minutes but Jobi MCAnuff’s selfishness prevented them finding the opener.

Having been put through, McAnuff needed to simply square for Bonne to tap into an empty net, but instead opted to go alone and was denied by Joseph Green.

Bonne would go tantalisingly close to breaking the deadlock after a quarter of an hour after his persistence was nearly rewarded.

Having charged down Green’s clearance, the O’s number nine couldn’t quite stretch enough to turn the ball in as it trickle across the face of goal and wide.

Bonne appealed for a penalty as it appeared Green had a hold of him, but saw his protests waved away by referee Gary Parsons.

While Davis’ men had enjoyed a position of dominance throughout, they were struggling at times to break down a stubborn rear-guard action from Guiseley.

Guiseley were themselves offering precious little going forward, but a poor touch from George Elokobi allowed Lee Molynuex a rare sight at goal.

His drive from range was well hit, but Charlie Grainger got everything behind it to turn the ball to safety with half an hour played.

Gueiseley’s growing attacking endeavour was rewarded soon after when their best move of the half saw the ball worked out wide before being driven into the box.

The cross was superbly weighted and an unmarked Odejayi had a simple task volleying in from six yards.

Their lead would last just a matter of minutes, however, after David Mooney’s cross struck the hand of Marcus Williams to give the hosts a chance from the penalty spot.

After Mooney missed from 12 yards last week, Bonne took over spot kick duties and made no mistake, firing low to Green’s right as the keeper threw himself left.

His nerve would be tested once more as the half ticked into stoppage time as Mooney was upended in the box by Williams, who was having possibly the worst three minute cameo of his career.

On this occasion Green guessed right as Bonne went for the same corner but his effort had too much power and the O’s led at the break.

Orient carried the confidence provided by the quick-fire double into the second half and could have extended their lead on 58 minutes when a corner found Mooney, who headed wide.

Harrold was given the best part of 30 minutes to show what he could do as he replaced Mooney and would do so within a matter of minutes.

The striker’s physical presence is clear and he got up superbly at the back post to head home Joe Widdowson’s cross and all but end the game as a contest.

Bonne would ensure it was his name who took the headlines with nine minutes to play, however, as he completed his hat-trick, taking his tally of goals for the season to seven.

Again Harrold was involved, flicking a header from Elokobi’s lump forward into the path of Bonne.

He still had plenty to do and did it in style, knocking the ball beyond two defenders and prodding a shot under Green to round off a thoroughly pleasing day for the O’s.