After calling on his players to show greater determination in recent weeks, Steve Davis was pleased with what he saw against Wrexham on Saturday.

The O’s were the better side for much of the clash at the Racehorse Ground, but still had to come from behind twice to secure a 2-2 draw.

Having witnessed a string of insipid displays from his struggling side in recent weeks, Davis was pleased with the improvement shown in the draw.

“I thought we were good, particularly in the first half where we controlled periods of the game and caused them some problems,” Davis said.

“There was some good, controlled possession and signs of us doing what we are trying to work on.

“We need to keep trying to improve and it would have been a travesty had we not got anything out of the game.”

While Saturday’s draw was a welcome one, the O’s still find themselves in a difficult position with 18 National League games played, sitting 19th in the table and three points clear of the drop zone.

They are without a league win since the 4-1 drubbing of Guiseley on September 2, a run of games which now stands at 10.

With this in mind, Orient could easily have fallen to pieces after going behind inside a minute on Saturday.

There reaction, however, was a positive one, much to the delight of Davis who praised the manner in which his players fought back.

“Conceding after a minute was a poor start and that was disappointing,” he said.

“We didn’t let it bother us, which is good considering you would expect the players to be a little bit nervy and fearful.

“They didn’t show that, kept their nerve and played very well in the first half.

“I thought we should have gone in leading with the amount of possession and dominance we had in the first half.”

Macauley Bonne’s 22nd minute strike pulled Orient level and from then on Orient played on the front foot and created the better chances.

A second half in which the elements played their part saw the O’s again go behind, but Davis was pleased with the number of problems Orient caused their opponents.

“The second half was a little bit scrappy and the wind definitely played a big part in that,” the 52-year-old said.

“But they couldn’t quite work out what we were doing and we looked very comfortable in possession, especially after we scored our first goal.”

With Wrexham sitting third in the table, the point which came with the impressive performance can only be viewed as a positive one.

Orient and Davis, who is still under considerable pressure, will, though, be eager to pick up a win sooner rather than later.

They can put their league worries on the back burner for this weekend at least as they turn their attention to the FA Cup.

The O’s face Gillingham away from home on Saturday hoping to book a place in the second round at the expense of the League One side.