Second-half goals from Jobi McAnuff, Josh Koroma and Macauley Bonne meant Leyton Orient returned to the top of the National League, as they fought back to beat Bromley 3-1.

In an emotional day in East London, Orient wore their special fourth kit in a throwback to the shirt the club wore 100 years ago and a minute’s silence was impeccably observed prior to the game, as the O’s paid tribute to those who served during World War One.

But Justin Edinburgh’s men failed to get going in the first half and trailed at the break through Josh Goddard’s low free-kick after Myles Judd had brought down Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe on the edge of the area.

However, the O’s turned the game on its head within the space of two minutes in the second half. Firstly, O’s skipper Jobi McAnuff showcased his quality when he curled a sublime free-kick into the top right-hand corner and within a minute it was two, when Koroma slammed home following a mazy ran.

Bonne then sealed the victory with 12 minutes remaining, as he smashed the ball past David Gregory after the Ravens goalkeeper had saved Craig Clay’s effort.

Head coach Edinburgh made one change to the side which beat AFC Fylde two weeks ago, with Judd returning from suspension to take his place at right-back. Charlie Lee missed out through injury meaning Dale Gorman kept his place in midfield, with the Northern Ireland Under-21 international making his first start on home turf.

Meanwhile, Bromley boss Neil Smith was forced to make four changes to the side which lost to League One outfit Peterborough United in the FA Cup last weekend. Former Orient man Alan Dunne, Goddard, Ogedi-Uzokwe and Joe Quigely all came into the side for Frankie Sutherland, Adam Mekki, Frankie Raymond and Omar Bugiel, who was away on international duty.

After an impeccably observed minute’s silence, the visitors got the game underway and started strongly, with Ogedi-Uzokwe’s touch letting him down when through one-on-one and former Wolves defender Roger Johnson almost getting on the end of Sam Wood’s free-kick at the far post.

The O’s hadn’t enjoyed much success in the final third during the opening quarter, but they carved out their first real chance just before the 20-minute mark, with Craig Clay dragging his shot wide of the target from the edge of the area.

After a slow start, Orient started to grow into the game, with Koroma firstly curling wide of the target after receiving the ball in space on the left, and the O’s youngster would then fire straight at David Gregory barely a minute later following a quick breakaway involving both McAnuff as well as Bonne.

The game had largely proven to be been a scrappy affair with both Dunne and Gorman entering the referee’s book within the first half an hour.

Judd was next to pick up a yellow card after cynically bringing down Ogedi-Uzokwe on the edge of the area and Bromley would take the lead from the resultant set-piece, with Goddard’s curling free-kick going through a crowd of players and into the bottom corner. Orient’s afternoon went from bad to worse when Marvin Ekpiteta was forced off through injury with three minutes remaining, with Dan Happe coming on for his second National League appearance of the season.

But the O’s almost found an equaliser deep into first half stoppage time through Gorman, who took a touch following McAnuff’s lay-off on the edge of the area, before curling a low effort just wide of the bottom corner.

Goddard almost snatched his second moments after the restart as he capitalised on a mistake in Orient’s backline to race clear, but Happe superbly slid in at the last minute to prevent the Bromley man from doubling the visitors’ advantage.

But that chance seemed to jolt Orient into life, with James Dayton, firstly, dragging his shot wide from the edge of the area and the O’s came even closer minutes later, when Koroma could only head McAnuff’s cross into the path of Bonne, who looked on course to stab home from close range but a Bromley defender somehow managed to deflect the ball over for a corner.

Edinburgh’s men wouldn’t have to wait long to get back on level terms, as McAnuff wound back the years when he curled a sublime free-kick into the top corner from 20 yards.

The O’s then turned the game on its head as within two minutes, they hit the front. Bonne brought the ball away after a Bromley attack broke down before feeding Koroma mid-way inside the Ravens’ half. Koroma’s quick turn of pace saw him breeze past Bromley’s full-back before slamming the ball into the roof of the net to hand Orient the lead for the first time.

Former O’s man Porter then entered the book before the game got back underway following an incident off the ball, after Koroma appeared to celebrate in front of the winger. He was soon followed into the book by Ravens captain Jack Holland, who scythed down Koroma 25 yards from goal.

James Brophy entered the frame with 15 minutes remaining in place of Gorman, a move which saw McAnuff move into centre midfield, and the O’s substitute would play an important role in Orient’s third, which arrived seconds later.

The former Swindon man drove at Bromley’s defence before playing the ball into Clay, whose low effort was well saved by Gregory. But Bonne showed his poacher’s instinct, as he was on hand to smash home the rebound to score his 14th goal of the season.

Leyton Orient: Brill (GK), Judd, Ekpiteta (Happe, 42), Coulson, Widdowson, Dayton (Alabi, 89), Clay, Gorman (Brophy, 75), McAnuff ©, Bonne, Koroma. Subs (not used): Sargeant (GK), Harrold.

Booked: Gorman (29), Judd (40) Bromley: Gregory (GK), Wood, Johnson, Holland ©, Brindley, Dunne (Luque, 65), Okoye, Porter, Goddard, Ogedi-Uzokwe, Quigley (Goodman, 72). Subs (not used): Enver, Rooney, Okoh.

Booked: Dunne (28), Porter (57), Holland (70).

Referee: Richard Hulme.

Attendance: 6,058 (591 Bromley fans)