Leyton Orient remained at the top of the National League with a comfortable 3-0 win over relegation-threatened Maidstone United.

Goals in each half from Jordan Maguire-Drew and Macauley Bonne were enough for the O’s to extend their lead at the top of the table following Solihull Moors’ loss at home to Fylde.

Justin Edinburgh made three changes to his starting XI, restoring Jobi McAnuff and Craig Clay, while he also handed Jamie Turley his first start following his arrival last week after leaving Notts County.

Maidstone looked the sharper of the two sides in the early exchanges, but the first glimpse of an opportunity fell the way of the hosts as Maguire-Drew nicked the ball and played an excellent pass through to Josh Koroma, but the striker couldn’t latch onto it.

The Stones responded well, though, and were only prevented what would have been a certain goal when Dean Brill got down well to collect Josh Taylor’s dangerous cross, which was heading straight to the feet of Dan Wishart.

Orient grew into the game after some wayward passing in the opening 20 minutes and won a free-kick on the edge of the area when Maguire-Drew was fouled, but his effort from the resulting free-kick was blocked by the wall.

After plenty of chances for the recent arrival, Maguire-Drew did score his first league goal for the O’s. Charlie Lee’s long throw was flicked on by Turley, and Maguire-Drew got to the ball first to finish on the half-volley via a deflection.

The hosts suffered a setback at the start of the second half as Koroma, under no pressure at all, went down holding the back of his knee, and Matt Harrold was called upon to replace him.

Koroma’s strike partner, Bonne, though, settled any nerves of not finding another goal when Lee’s header from a McAnuff delivery fell at his feet, and he fired underneath Ross on the line to double the advantage.

Maidstone, led by John Still after his return to football management, looked to come back into the game with some dangerous-looking attacks down the wings, but Dan Happe and Turley remained strong in the centre of defence to keep the visitors from finding a route back into the game.

Joe Widdowson also played his part in preserving the clean sheet, sliding in to block Dan Meredith’s cross.

Orient had numerous opportunities to extend the lead, most notably through Harrold and Bonne, but were given a golden opportunity in stoppage time when James Brophy was brought down in the area, and Bonne stepped up to send Ross the wrong way and seal the points.

Orient now, once again, lead the way in the National League by three points. Their next fixture will see them host Blyth Spartans in the third round of the FA Trophy next Saturday, before travelling to Hartlepool United in the league on Saturday, February 9.