Leyton Orient moved off the bottom of League One as they came from behind to record a 3-2 win at Scunthorpe United.

Dean Cox went close for the O’s midway through the first half but it was former Orient man Andy Barcham who opened the scoring half an hour in.

Orient came out well on top in the second half though and two goals within five minutes from Kevin Lisbie had them in front in a remarkable turnaround.

Scott Cuthbert extended the advantage midway through the second period but Barcham replied immediately to set up a tense finale.

After the series of injuries that have blighted Russell Slade’s side so far this campaign, the manager was able to welcome left back Charlie Daniels back into the side following his layoff.

Daniels’ return saw Leon McSweeney switch to right back while Elliot Omozusi made the bench on his return from injury.

Scott Cuthbert returned to the heart of the defence to partner Terrell Forbes as Ben Chorley was ruled out with a strain.

George Porter was also unavailable after he was stretchered off in last week’s victory over Preston meaning that Lisbie switched to the right while David Mooney returned to spearhead the attack.

On a slippery surface in North Lincolnshire, it was the O’s who went forward first and had the first sight of goal – Lisbie’s effort inside a minute was easy for Sam Johnstone to gather while Mooney curled over shortly after.

Neither side were able to find a rhythm in the opening exchanges however, both struggling with the damp pitch and resorting to long balls over the top.

Lee Butcher made his first significant contribution to the match when Chris Dagnall met a Michael O’Connor corner with his head but it was at a comfortable height for the stopper to deal with.

The move brought the match to life briefly as Orient went forward and saw Cox’s shot blocked before a swift break from the hosts called Forbes in to make a good tackle to deny Nicky Ajose.

Cox then had the best chance of the half when on 25 minutes he peeled away into space on the edge of the penalty area to sweep a low effort at goal from Stephen Dawson’s cross but it fell narrowly wide of the target.

However, it was the home side who took the lead and it was Barcham with the goal.

A low ball in the middle found Dagnall who laid it off for the goalscorer to fire in a deflected effort past Butcher on the half hour.

Clearly in buoyant mood, the home side went forward again and came close to extending their lead when O’Connor fired a free kick narrowly over following a foul by Daniels.

Orient were not letting their heads drop though and continued to press against a home defence that didn’t look comfortable on the wet pitch – Matt Spring going close when his shot from distance was deflected and appeared to be looping in before Johnstone tipped it over.

It was as close as the O’s came to levelling in the first half as they headed for the break a goal down.

Slade’s side were level within a minute of the restart though and it was simple stuff as Mooney and Lisbie – who had swapped positions in the first period - carved open a shaky home defence.

Mooney‘s ball through the middle from the right was left by two home defenders as Lisbie was allowed to ghost in for a simple finish.

The striker wasn’t done there though and minutes later the O’s were in front. Daniels intercepted a loose pass and advanced to find Dawson whose cross from the left was perfectly weighted for the unmarked Lisbie to head in.

The two-goal man was in sensational form and proving a real threat for the O’s going forward, giving the Iron a torrid afternoon, dispossessing the defence to lay on a chance for Cox who fired wide.

Orient looked comfortable when on 67 minutes, Cuthbert rose highest to meet a Daniels free kick to head into the corner.

However, any thoughts of shutting up shop were quickly put to bed as Scunthorpe reduced the deficit, Barcham benefiting from a loose ball from a corner to shoot through a forest of legs beyond Butcher.

Scunthorpe sensed an equaliser and they pushed forward in search of a point, calling Butcher into action with a drilled effort from Dagnall.

With less than five minutes to play, Shane Duffy fired in a low effort from distance which skidded nastily off the surface as Butcher was unable to hold it but breathed a sigh of relief when Dagnall put the rebound wide, as the O’s held on for the win.

Scunthorpe: Johnstone; Togwell, Nelson, S Duffy, Nolan; Thompson (M Duffy 60), Mozika, O'Connor, Barcham; Dagnall, Ajose.

Subs: Slocombe, Wright, Reid, Grant.

Orient: Butcher; McSweeney, Cuthbert, Forbes, Daniels; Spring, Lisbie, Dawson, Clarke, Cox (Cureton 83); Mooney.

Subs: Lovelock, Omozusi, Laird, Cestor.

Attendance: 4,234 (251).