Waltham Forest came out on top of a hard-fought local derby played in the best of sprits.

Both teams were well fired-up for the occasion, but real chances were hard to come by in the first half. Nicki Dembele had Forest’s best half-chance, but couldn’t really test the keeper from a tight angle.

At the other end Mohamed Ahmed had to be alert to keep out a number of long-range efforts.

The second half continued end-to-end much in the same way as the first, but it was Wadham who had the first real chance of the game, when Jordan Mikele’s goal-bound header was acrobatically cleared off the line by Stags skipper Josh Banton.

This proved to kick-start Forest, and it wasn’t long before Skirmantas Balauka’s inch-perfect cross was headed in by Salif Konate.

With 10 minutes to go Wadham got back into the game courtesy of a neat one-on-one finish from Vladut Sighiarty.

With the game ending in a draw, penalties followed, in a contest which twisted and turned.

After Wadham opened the scoring, Kobi Ambrose finished coolly into the top corner. Wadham missed their next, but so did Olu Oluwatimilehin who scuffed his kick against the post.

Josh Banton scored for Forest, but Azhar Masoud saw his effort saved, to level the score at 3-3 with five penalties taken each.

Wadham scoring their fifth meant Ahmed Mohammed had to score to keep Forest in the tie, which he did, smashing his penalty into the roof of the net.

Salif Konate then repeated Mohammed’s feat, before Wadham’s seventh penalty was blazed high over the bar. Yannis Ambrosine then stepped up and made no mistake, smashing an unstoppable penalty home to send Forest into the semi-final of the Gordon Brasted Trophy.

Lodge, however, fared better in a league match on Saturday after goals from Sighiartau and Larry Asare defeated Burham Ramblers in a 2-1 scoreline.

Elsewhere, Waltham Abbey let a three-goal lead slip in their 3-3 draw on Saturday against Great Wavering Rovers in the Ryman Premier North Division.

Billy Holland opened the scoring in the 24th minute for the east London side, who sit 19th in the table, before Arian Retkoceri and Romaric Logan also penned their names on the scoresheet.

Rovers’ Jake Gordon started the comeback before Scott Pethers and Stephen Butterworth secured the point for their side, who are fighting relegation.

In the Essex Senior League, Ilford suffered back-to-back defeats as they exited the Memorial Trophy in a 2-0 loss to Takeley.

Enfield 1893 put four past Ilford on Saturday with the east London side finding the net once.

Redbridge suffered the same feat as their league compatriots as they lost 3-2 to Barking on Tuesday in the cup fixture.

They also fell to a 3-1 loss at the hands of Basildon United, four days earlier.

Eton Manor also lost at the weekend after Barking’s Joseph Pearman scored twice to take the three points.

Barkingside managed a 1-1 home draw with Haringey & Waltham FC.

Jason Fontaine opened the scoring for the hosts in the 48th minute before Glenn Toonga made sure the visitors shared the spoils.