Walthamstow moved to the top of the Essex Senior League Senior Division after a 2-1 win over second-bottom Clapton on Saturday.

Dwade James and Danny McCullock struck for Stow as they leapfrogged Saffron Walden Town into top spot while also still having a game in hand.

Clapton, defying their position in the league, made a quick start to the game and had the first opportunity, but James Bransgrove did well to make the save and prevent an early setback for his side.

A minute later, Callum Ibe attempted to get Stow off the mark, but after jinking his way through the Clapton defence, the eventual shot was weak and easily kept out.

Stow began to increase the pressure as the half went on and the Clapton defence was beginning to creak.

After McCullock’s free-kick went close, the deadlock was broken shortly after when his powerful effort went into the top corner after the keeper could only get his fingertips to it.

With the lead now in their possession, the hosts controlled the remainder of the half and continued to pepper the Clapton goal with shots.

Daniel Emovon shot well wide from distance and McCullock did well to twist away from his marker before forcing a good save from William Hunt.

Minutes later, though, Stow’s Benji Crilley was brought down in the area, giving James the chance to double the lead. He duly obliged, and the home side took a comfortable advantage into the break.

In the second half, Crilley got just ahead of Ibe to head wide from a free-kick and a cut-back from James towards Ibe was cleared from under the attacker's feet.

They were made to rue those missed opportunities as Clapton pulled a goal back with 10 minutes remaining, Jaydon Charles deftly chipping over Bransgrove after a mazy run.

Stow finished the game with 10 men after Crilley was sent to the sin bin in stoppage time, but they hung on to claim first position in the table.

Ilford’s four-game unbeaten run came to an end after they were narrowly beaten 1-0 at home by Cockfosters.

James Verney scored the only goal of the game for the visitors with 18 minutes remaining to leave the side level on points with both Woodford Town and St Margaretsbury.

Ilford were also in action last night, entertaining Romford Town in a friendly at the Mile End Stadium.

Waltham Abbey affirmed their play-off position in the Isthmian League South Central Division with a 1-0 win away at sixth-placed Uxbridge.

Charlie Edwards scored the only goal after just four minutes to had Abbey all three points and keep their excellent run of form going.

The side have not lost since a 2-0 defeat to home to then-leaders Hanwell Town on November 2.

Finally, Epping Town were beaten 4-2 at home by Essex Olympian League Division Two leaders Leigh Town.

James Peagram’s strike put Epping on level terms after Leigh had taken the lead, but the visitors restored their advantage before the break before going further ahead after the break, leaving Gle Warwick's strike to just be a consolation.