CHINGFORD are back on the trail of London One North leaders Westcliff after prevailing in their second derby clash in two weeks against Eton Manor.

The Waltham Wayers were denied in the dying embers of the game against Woodford last week, but they made amends, moving to within two points of top spot with a 20-6 win.

Manor managed to repel Chingford’s early advances, but they eventually succumbed to the pace of Donnagh Fitzgerald, who sprinted over the line from out wide.

Luke Campbell missed the resultant conversion, but he atoned by adding three points after the award of a penalty.

The visitors pulled back to within a score when Greg Anderson found his mark with a penalty.

Anderson slotted another immediately after the break, moving the away side to within two points of their hosts.

It served as a wake-up call to Chingford, and there was daylight between the sides again when Fitzgerald went over for his second try, after good work in the centre.

David Knight then put the seal on the victory when he streaked through for the final try of the day.

Despite the two points, manager Phil Howell was disappointed with the performance. “To say we were not satisfied with today’s work would be a colossal under-statement,” he said. “We were wasteful, but credit to Manor for their tenacity. We got away with it, but we must be more clinical in our game.”

Elsewhere, Woodford lost ground in the battle for promotion when they were beaten away at high-flying Staines, 22-15.

A rout looked to be on the cards as the home side opened up a 9-0 lead with three penalties. Things went from bad to worse after the break, as two further penalties and a converted try left Woodford reeling at 22-0 down.

But the Highams men demonstrated plenty of character, and they had their hosts rattled when they ran in three successive tries. David Gabe grabbed the first, and that was followed by scores from Tim Saull and Ed Gooday, although the damage had already been done and the final whistle came too soon for the side to complete what would have been a remarkable turnaround.

Meanwhile, Wanstead failed to apply pressure on the top sides in London Three North East as they were defeated 34-5 by early pace-setters Canvey Island.

In Essex One, Ilford Wanderers enjoyed a superb 27-20 win at Maldon, while Bancroft lost ground on the leading pack with a 12-6 defeat at the hands of Clacton. Upper Clapton are still looking for their first points of the season after their 61-5 loss against Millwall.

In Essex Two, Loughton won the battle of the local sides as they ran out 17-5 victors against Ongar.