CHINGFORD won their second derby match in a row at Eton Manor during a weekend that also saw local side Bancroft turn up the heat on their promotion rivals in Essex One.

After the Waltham Wayers edged a nail-biting encounter against Woodford two weeks ago, the team made full use of their week off to ease past Manor, 17-5.

Luke Campbell and David Knight both crossed the line in the first half, with Ben Bolton-Smith and Robert Gash sharing the conversions for a 14-0 lead.

Bolton-Smith then added a try to his tally, while their hosts managed just the one score as Chingford cantered home.

Meanwhile, Woodford were given a harsh lesson by table-topping Staines at their Highams ground. The 58-13 scoreline emphasised the gulf between the two sides.

Bancroft’s promotion bid remains firmly on course after their eighth consecutive victory, courtesy of a dominant display against Old Brentwoods.

The Buckhurst Hill outfit are now just four points behind leaders Campion and look favourites to at least secure a play-off spot, which is the reward for the team finishing in second place.

On Saturday, Bancroft came back from an early try to open up a healthy lead at the break, thanks to a try from Perry Julier and two Tom Farrow penalties.

After the interval, Chris Edwards’ powerful drive provided the support for Sean Rose to crash over. Farrow slotted another penalty and, despite conceding a late try, Bancroft came away with maximum points.

Elsewhere, Ilford Wanderers came up against a rampant Clacton side, who ran out 46-3 winners.

In London Three North East, a battling Wanstead side were beaten 23-15 by Beccles.

Meanwhile, in Essex Two Loughton were on the receiving end of a 33-14 scoreline at high-flying Brightlingsea. The visitors started well but conceded three tries before the break. Loughton scrum-half Mick Walker’s neat dummy and finish reduced the deficit. Duncan Kaye’s clever kick was collected by Ricardo, who scored, but the fightback was ended with two Brightlingsea tries.

There was better news for Ongar, as they beat Phantoms 22-6.