AN INJURY-ravaged Bancroft side were forced to overcome one of the biggest threats to their phenomenal unbeaten run in the shape of one of Essex One’s form sides, Millwall, at the weekend.

Several bruising encounters over the past few weeks had taken its toll on the squad, leaving some of the club’s second XV to make the step up and fill in to try and stretch the team’s winning streak to 11 games.

The visitors found themselves encamped in their own half as they attempted to stave off a 20-minute onslaught from Millwall.

But, after managing to do just that, they made the home side pay for not converting. Good work from James Connor and Mat Henry enabled Pete Robinson to touch down under the posts, while the try was converted.

A penalty was all Millwall could muster for their first-half efforts.

Some more pressure followed in the second period, but Robinson relieved some of it with a penalty of his own, extending the lead to seven points.

The hosts managed another penalty but were ultimately denied by a resilient Bancroft defensive display, with Stuart Kossick scooping the man of the match award.

Elsewhere, Chingford ground out an important win at Brentwood in London One North.

In a low-scoring affair, it was Robert Gash who went over for the decisive score, before dusting himself off to add the conversion for a 7-0 scoreline.

The Waltham Way outfit played plenty of attacking rugby and were steadfast in defence. The game also saw Mathew Hastings enjoy a run out in the centre, having played much of the season as hooker and flanker.

Meanwhile, Woodford were put to the sword by a rampant Civil Service side, who almost replicated the 58-7 winning scoreline over the Highams men earlier in the season on Saturday.

This time the winning margin was 54-10. Service got the ball rolling almost from kick-off with an early try, but Woodford then held an impressive territorial advantage, only to be denied points by a disciplined visiting side.

Another try after 25 minutes opened the floodgates, as Service raced into a 27-0 lead at half-time.

Youngster Will Evans did give the home fans something to shout about when he went over in the corner before adding another late on.

Eton Manor enjoyed a comprehensive win over Letchworth Garden City, running in 30 points to the visitors’ 15.

In London Three North East Wanstead went down 19-5 at West Norfolk, while Ilford Wanderers were narrowly edged out 14-10 at Old Cooperians in Essex One.

Ongar impressed during their clash with Runwell Wyverns, only to be pipped 31-25, after an entertaining contest.