THIRTEEN may be unlucky for some, but superstition could not interfere with Bancroft’s incredible run of victories, which was stretched once again after an entertaining battle against third-placed East London in Essex One.

Second spot may be wrapped up and there may be no chance of catching runaway leaders Campion, but Bancroft ensured they kept their eye on the ball with a 32-25 win on Saturday, taking their winning streak to 13 games.

Unusually, the Bs fell behind to an early try, but a Tom Farrow penalty and a try from Sean Rose saw them get their noses in front.

Another dead-eye strike from Farrow gave Bancroft a six-point lead heading into the interval, but it was not until after the break that the game really spiced up.

Chris Edwards went over for a converted try to put more daylight between the hosts and their visitors, but East London hit back with a penalty to stay in touch.

A defensive error allowed Sam Hodgson to cross the line for a converted score but the away side were not finished, scoring a try of their own.

James Conner appeared to have put the game to bed when he scored after being released by Charl Dormehl, but two late yellow cards for Bancroft allowed East London to score twice near the death to set the nerves jangling.

However, the Bs held on for maximum points.

While the team cannot catch leaders Campion, they will have the chance to get one over their rivals when they face them in the final game of the season in two weeks’ time.

Elsewhere, in London One North, Eton Manor were the only local side to score any points at the weekend, while they also registered a thrilling 41-29 win at Harpenden, in a result that lifts them above close adversaries Woodford.

The Highams men were on the receiving end of a 70-0 pasting from Bury St Edmunds on Saturday.

Six first-half tries, four conversions and two penalties took the score to 44-0 at the turnaround, and things did not improve after the break, as four more tries were conceded.

Still, there was little consolation to be taken from the fact that fierce rivals Chingford suffered an even more brutal humiliation at the hands of league leaders Staines, 85-0 the final score.

There was not much to shout about in London Three North East either, as Wanstead went down 50-6 at Wymondham.

In Essex One, Ilford Wanderers were beaten 61-15 at Millwall and, in Essex Two, Loughton were soundly beaten 62-12 by Stanford Le Hope, while Ongar lost 33-5 at Brightlingsea.