CHINGFORD could hardly have got their season off the mark in a more satisfying manner, as they demolished fierce rivals Woodford 67-14 at their Waltham Way ground.

After a shaky start to the London One North campaign, in which Chingford lost their opening game to Westcliff, it was the perfect tonic.

No game on the calendar generates quite as much interest as this one, and it was the home side that were really up for the contest against their unbeaten rivals. They flew out of the traps, with Kurt Forward getting the ball rolling with a try, which he converted himself, and a penalty. Luke Campbell compounded that early blow for Woodford with another try, as Chingford's forwards took a stranglehold on the game.

Oliver Hoad was next to cross the try-line, while Campbell went over once again to secure the hosts' four-try bonus point before the break.

Woodford came out fighting after the interval, and reduced the deficit when skipper Robbie Connell twice went over, with Lewis Humphries converting both.

It was to prove little more than a blip, however, as Mathew Lockwood barged his way over before Campbell completed his hat-trick. Hayward converted both, then added a further penalty.

The torture for the visitors did not stop there, as Hoad grabbed his second try and Ryan Pask also went over. Fittingly, the final try of the day went to the outstanding Campbell, with Hayward again adding the extras.

An elated Phil Howell, Chingford manager, said afterwards: “I don't think Woodford were a poor side, they were unbeaten prior to today. I think Chingford just need to get their season up and running, and a lot of the hard work the guys have put in during pre-season started to show.”

Meanwhile, in the same division Eton Manor were well-beaten by Brentwood, 29-9.

Elsewhere, in London Three North East, Bancroft were edged out in a tight encounter for the second successive week, this time against Newmarket, with a final score of 26-19.

The two sides could not be separated at half-time, captain Matt Barrett and Alex Silk pegging the visitors back twice before the break.

However, it was Newmarket who were able to find an extra gear, scoring twice to secure the points, although with time running out the Bs did manage a consolation score through Stuart Kossick, with Peter Robinson adding the extras that earned them a losing bonus point.

In the same league, Wanstead battled to a 16-12 win at Campion.

In Essex Two, Ilford Wanderers blitzed Phantoms, running in a host of tries for a 72-12 victory. There was less good news for Ongar, who were dismantled 53-3 by Writtle Wanderers.