Chingford took on old foes Thurrock at Waltham Way last Saturday, a team that had been promoted to London North One after a successful campaign last season.

It was the visitors who started the brightest, using their mobile yet physical pack to make dents in the home sides defence, but Chingford held firm.

The home side could not get their hands on the ball, and when they did they only seemed to kick directly to Thurrock's dangerous fullback, who would run or kick the ball back deep into Chingford territory.

The home team then lost Ryan Pask to a hamstring injury, so Chris Moore came onto the flank and Luke Campbell moved back to fullback.

Chingford then opened the scoring with Edward Pike stepping his way around numerous defenders to register his first try of the season, Hayward converted and Chingford lead 7-0.

Within minutes it was that man Campbell again to go over for Chingford's second of the day, Hayward was unfortunate with the conversion and at half-time Chingford lead 12-0.

Thurrock played well in the first period, and were the best opposition to visit Waltham Way so far this season, but as in every game so far Chingford did not allow the opposition to register any points in the first 40 minutes.

It did not take long for the home side to get the scoreboard moving, when Ollie Hoad used his pace and determination to sprint in out wide for an unconverted try.

Next to score was Mat Lockwood whose quick thinking meant he took a tap penalty close to the line to dive over, that Hayward converted.

Chingford pack were now taking control of the set pieces, with Bowling, Hastings, and Piper making life difficult for their opposite numbers in the scrum, and Lee excelling in the lineout.

Pike then scored his second of the day, that Hayward converted, before Thurrock scored a consolation try by Earl Gorman after a flowing backs move.

Chingford continued to register points when Campbell, went over for his second of the day, his ninth try in the last four games, that Hayward converted.

The final try of the day went to Mat Lockwood who intercepted the ball from a loose Thurrock pass just inside his own 22 metre line. With no-one in front of him he took off, with ball tucked under his arm he sprinted all the way to the Thurrock line to score his second of the day and Chingford's seventh.

Final score Chingford 43 Thurrock 5.

"Thurrock are a good side, and you can how they turned over league leaders Westcliff, the only team to beat Chingford so far this season," said manager Phil Howell.

"It was good to see Neil Starling finally make his full debut, and I am sure it wont be long before you see his name on the try scorers list. A good overall performance by all 18 players involved, and we look forward to taking on Stevenage this coming Saturday."