CHINGFORD'S promotion push remained very much on course after a fifth-successive victory, this time over Stevenage Town.

The Waltham Wayers arrived at Stevenage full of confidence after a run of wins that had catapulted them up to second in the league standings.

However, forced to play up the slope in the first half, Chingford suffered a rare setback, conceding their first points in the opening 40 minutes of a contest this season when the hosts slotted a penalty.

It was a blip that was quickly remedied, as the visitors, from the restart, charged straight up the other end of the field and scored a try through Luke Campbell, his tenth of the campaign. Duncan Hayward added the extras for a four-point half-time lead.

Chingford gained a stranglehold on the game with two penalties after the break, before Mat Lockwood scored out wide for an 18-3 scoreline.

Debutant James Moy responded to a Town try with one of his own, which Ben Bolton-Smith converted, putting the gloss on a hard-fought win.

Chingford remain four points adrift of Westcliff at the top of London One North with one game in hand.

Meanwhile, Woodford were on the receiving end of an emphatic beating at Colchester.

The Highams men were comprehensively outplayed, going down 83-17.

Eton Manor were also losers on Saturday, although they put up a spirited fight and pushed league leaders Westcliff all the way, with the game remaining in the balance until the final ten minutes.

It was backs-against-the-wall stuff from Manor in the early exchanges of the contest, successfully repelling their visitors.

Westcliff did manage to kick a penalty for the lead, but it was short-lived, as the hosts responded in commendable style.

After forcing a penalty eight metres from the try-line, Nick Horton's quick thinking created the chance for Riaan Shields to crash over the line, with Greg Anderson stepping up to convert.

As the break approached, Westcliff managed to get their noses in front, their winger scoring in the corner after a lineout.

Anderson had the chance to put Manor ahead before the interval but his 40-yard penalty attempt fell agonisingly short of the posts.

Westcliff found their form in the second period, running in three more tries to come away with a 23-7 victory, although they left knowing they had been involved in a real battle.

London Three North East sides Bancroft and Wanstead were without games at the weekend, as were Essex Two pair Ongar and Ilford Wanderers.