CHINGFORD came out on top in London One North's latest derby clash against Eton Manor at the weekend, in a result that keeps them in contention for a title push.

The 24-7 victory means the Waltham Wayers sit just three points off pace-setters Westcliff in second place.

Manor were not rolled over, however, and put on a strong show at Chingford's ground.

They managed to keep Chingford's scoring down to their third-lowest total of the season, with the concession of three tries during the 80 minutes.

They arrived from Ryan Pask, Chris Kells and James Moore, with Duncan Hayward slotting all three conversions and notching a penalty.

Eton Manor remain in trouble at the foot of the division after the defeat – their sixth of the campaign – just one place above basement boys Letchworth Garden City.

Chingford travel to Sidcup this week, with Manor playing host to Tabard.

Elsewhere in the division, Woodford slipped up at home to Sidcup, going down 32-10.

There is a sizeable gap opening up between the Highams men and the top half of the division, while they are just five points off last spot.

Meanwhile, in London Three North East, Bancroft were edged out in a pulsating contest with South Woodham Ferrers, 25-24.

The game looked like being a formality for the lowly Bs when Francois Nel and Matt Barrett went over for unconverted tries, the visitors racing in to a 10-0 lead with just 15 minutes on the clock.

And when Glen Adams crossed the try line for Bancroft's third score, following a penalty from the hosts, it seemed as if the visitors were going to canter home for their second win of the season.

However, a converted score before the break brought South Woodham back into contention, and when Perry Julier was shown a yellow card the momentum swung briefly.

Another try reduced the deficit but Pete Robinson ran in a converted score to take the lead to 12 points with just 14 minutes left.

Then the roof caved in, a flurry of late scores proving the Bs' undoing as they suffered an agonising defeat.

Team manager Stephen Baker said afterwards: “We have nobody to blame but ourselves. We were the better team and we are finding our feet in the league but we threw it away with bad decisions.”

In the same division Wanstead lost ground in the race for promotion with a 18-10 loss at leaders Newmarket.

Matt Maitland grabbed the try for the local side, with Jonny Smith converting and notching a penalty.

In Essex Two, Upper Clapton are one point off top spot after a 27-11 win over Phantoms.

James Hack fed Toby Sweeney for the first try after two minutes, but the visitors levelled. Scott Stalley restored the five-point advantage though, and he then laid on Tom Winkworth for try number three.

Hack made it four and a conversion took the scores to 22-11, after two Phantoms penalties.

Ollie Stokes grabbed the final try for Clapton, who will have real designs on promotion.

Ongar went down 26-6 to Stanford Le Hope, while Ilford Wanderers were awarded a home walkover.