CHINGFORD bounced back from last weekend’s disappointing defeat in style with victory over Tabard, although both Woodford and Eton Manor tasted defeat on Saturday.

The Waltham Way outfit had been rocked by last week’s shock 13-10 loss at Brentwood, but they hit back by seeing off Tabard without letting their opponents get a sniff of the try-line.

Chingford laid siege to the visitors’ line from the off and could have had ten tries to show for their efforts in a one-sided first half.

However, just one score from Luke Campbell arrived in the opening 40 minutes, with Kurt Forward converting a penalty for an 8-0 scoreline at the break.

The bombardment continued unabated in the second half, and the game was put out of reach with further tries from Ollie Hoad and Neil Starling, Campbell converting one.

Despite the comfortable win, club president John Garrett was critical of the team’s performance.

“The match was frustrating for the second consecutive week with too many individual efforts failing when easy passing along the line would have borne fruit,” he said.

“To not get a four-try bonus point was completely irresponsible in such advantageous circumstances.”

Chingford remain in contention for a play-off place, although they still trail second-placed Sidcup by four points.

Meanwhile, Woodford slipped to a home defeat against Thurrock, going down 30-19, leaving them just four points above rock-bottom Stevenage Town.

Eton Manor were on the wrong end of a 63-0 thrashing by Bury St Edmunds on Saturday.

In London Three North East, Bancroft continue to struggle against an immediate return to Essex One, as they succumbed to Norwich, 26-12.

The early signs were encouraging, as Francois Nel touched down after chasing his own kick to give the visitors the lead.

Norwich rallied quickly and, after applying some heavy pressure, scored a converted try under the posts for the lead.

Two further unanswered tries took the wind out of Bancroft’s sails, although they did manage to bounce back with ten minutes to play, Alex Silk bulldozing his way over the line.

The home side retaliated with the final score of the game but Bancroft could take plenty from a spirited performance that should stand them in good stead for the fight against the drop until the end of the season.

Wanstead have slipped off the pace in the same division, although they managed to hold second-placed Basildon to a 7-7 home draw in a tense affair.

Elsewhere, in Essex Two, the juggernaut that is Upper Clapton shows no sign of slowing as the league leaders steamrollered Kings Cross Steelers 27-0 to maintain their top billing.

Ilford Wanderers, meanwhile, were beaten 25-12 at May & Baker, while Burnham-On-Crouch were awarded a walkover against Ongar.